Constipation in babies – what can you do?
Usually a blockage occurs in your baby with the introduction of the first complementary foods. The your child bowel does not empty then over a longer period and if he does, then the stool is hard and causes pain. Here you will find valuable tips on how you verschaffst your baby for constipation relief.
The bowels of your newborn baby is still irregular. Something ends up in the diaper, sometimes days go by and nothing happens. Many infants clogging occurs with the introduction of complementary foods.
What are the signs of constipation in babies?
As with adults, a blockage in the baby may have very different reasons and also the appearance of the precipitates can be quite different. Signs of constipation in babies are:
- Your baby has not made more than 14 days in the diaper. Especially in infants, it can happen that the defecation can wait 8 to 14 days in some cases.
- hard belly
- Foul-smelling flatulence
- Foul-smelling bowel movements
- Dry and hard stool
- Blood in the stool
Causes of constipation in babies
- Hard water: Blockages can occur if the water with which you touch her baby milk, is too calcareous.
- Diet: Babies often suffer from constipation when they get used to porridge and baby foods. Your stomach and intestines has to learn to cope with the new food.
Tip: When preparing baby foods one teaspoon of seed oil can help in the porridge to soften the stool.
- Dehydration: It may be that your baby is suffering from dehydration. Especially when babies are teething, have a cold or middle ear infection, some do not want to drink.
- Constipating foods: Some foods such as carrots or mashed bananas and oat or rice flakes can also cause constipation.
- Food allergy: Sometimes constipation is a sign of a food allergy.
- To travel: Some babies also react strongly to changes and get, for example, when traveling constipation.
What helps your baby with constipation?
- Give your child fiber-rich food like spinach, broccoli or pumpkin mash. The digestion is stimulated also by high-fiber foods such as pureed or grated apples, pears, grapes, plums or strawberries.
- Soft boiled dried fruit, such as figs and plums, digestion help on the jumps.
- Switch on to hard water use rather special baby or bottles of water and this for the preparation of infant formula. Alternatively, you can filter the tap water as well.
- Make sure that your baby is drinking enough. Give more often in between him drink tea.
- With an abdominal massage you can also gently stimulate your baby's digestion.
Constipation in babies: When going to the doctor?
Your baby must then go to the doctor if the constipation has organic causes. These can be, for example, changes in the intestine. However, make this shortly after birth noticeable and are relatively rare. Keeps the constipation, contrary to all self-help attempts longer than 14 days, so going to the doctor is highly recommended. Although the abdominal wall of your child is hard and tense and it suffers from severe pain which medical advice is sought. This may prescribe your child mild medication or suppositories that fix the problem gently.