Foster parents – rights and obligations
You and your partner want to record as foster parents a child? As a parent, a foster child you have to feed it the task, supervise and educate. Find out here, you have rights and responsibilities just as foster parents.
What are foster parents?
Adoption and foster care have in common that a foreign child comes into the family. However, both forms differ mainly legally quite significantly from one another. While no legal connection longer exists for adoption between an adopted child and biological parents, a foster child always remains a member of his family of origin. This is because a foster care is seen as a temporary measure and aims to return the child back to his biological parents.
The inclusion of a foster child brings some changes in the family situation. Below you can find out which supports foster parents are entitled and how your best to deal with the new situation:
Display Book tip: foster children
This book gives you a good overview, What you should know about foster children.
Rights of foster parents
- Care allowance: Once the parents take a foster child, they are entitled to care allowance. This is made up of the living and the cost of education and is graded according to age. to provide special education services have foster parents how to take care of a disabled child, then the allowance may increase.
- aid: Regarding the financial situation, foster parents have to get regardless of the care allowance so-called aid for special one-time charges of child care the right.
- Child support: Foster parents where a child lives permanently, are entitled to child benefit.
- Right to be heard: As a foster parent you have a right to be heard in all the child care related issues. This means that the judge is talking to you about your questions and will have to take your opinion noted.
Obligations of foster parents
As a foster parent you have to be aware you about the fact that your foster child is a child with two families and will remain. Children who had to make unpleasant experiences with their biological families, love their parents and have strong ties to them. After separating parents and children usually have to visit the need and to see the right, or to call each other. In particular, the regulation of the visit contacts thrives on your willingness to meet each other.
but what about the everyday life of a foster child? If a foster family primarily from social services and foreign determines the biological parents? You have to adjust yourself to the fact that others are constantly interfere or try to get your child in the short term from your family in the upbringing?
First, it is important to understand that You can regulate the everyday things of your foster child as a caregiver under the law. So on everyday questions only You decide.
Everyday affairs of foster parents:
- if and when the child is allowed to visit friends
- when to go to bed
- where it is going with you on holiday
- if and when your child needs medical treatment
- if your child is a member of a club
- Purchases for the child
- in school: witness signature, decision on joint ventures with Klassenpflegschaft assumption of positions, talking with teachers and conferences
If you are allowed to decide as foster parents in all daily affairs alone, this also means that you must not it unusual matters.
Not everyday affairs of foster parents:
- Registration for school and kindergarten
- long stays abroad
- apprenticeship contracts
This does not apply when there is imminent danger. In these cases, You may carry out all legal actions as foster parents. So if your child is hit by a car, you have to ask, of course, not only the biological parents to consent for surgery as foster parents.
The reporting requirement for foster parents
As a caregiver You always have the youth department access to the child care make. This means that you have to inform the youth welfare office about important events affecting the child's welfare. These include permanent changes in personal circumstances as well as changes in family and partnership. It is a fundamental obligation to register, which applies to all caregivers. Any problems are discussed together with social services and give further steps.
Can birth parents foster parents take the child?
The most significant difference between adoption and foster care is that the foster child is the child of his biological parents. It is not the child of the foster parents, it does not get their names, it is not entitled to inherit towards them. Of course you will how to treat a biological child and love it so your foster child as a foster parent. But legally speaking, it is the child of other parents.
This has significance when it comes to the question of whether the birth parents can remove your child from the foster family. Perhaps more fundamentally, the biological parents have the right to surrender their child to each. After a long stay of the child in a foster family you can as foster parents but a request for the whereabouts of the child put in your family, if the biological parents are going to take your foster child from the family out. This application can you ask the Family Court.
What are the rights of birth parents continue?
- The questions of religious education can continue to dominate and influence, even if they no longer have custody of their child and the biological parents. That is, they can decide for example whether or not the child is to be baptized not.
- The birth parents continue to have the right to contact with their child.
- The right of the biological parents to enable the child is available for adoption.
- However, if the child's hurt, the family court may order that the parental decisions or replace.