The hormone sticks is one of the safest contraceptives. In a small operation, it is implanted under the skin and works over three years. Since it contains only progestogens, the hormone sticks is a real alternative for women who can not tolerate the hormone estrogen.
What is a hormone sticks?
The hormone sticks resembling a matchstick. There is a very thin plastic rod, which is several centimeters long. The hormone rods is pushed with the aid of a fine hollow needle on the inside of the upper arm under the skin. This spot is locally anesthetized before.
In addition to the contraceptive implants, there are other hormonal contraceptives such as the pill, hormone spiral or the vaginal ring, which guarantee a high level of security. Get in our field "prevention" more about the different contraceptives:
How does the hormone sticks?
After inserting the hormone rods are continuously a small amount of the hormone etonorgestrel which prevents ovulation and the mucosa so changes in the cervix that it is difficult passable for sperm. Etonorgestrel is a pure progesterone, the hormone sticks so unlike many pill supplements does not contain estrogen. The contraceptive effect of the hormone rod stops at three years. If you want to stop the prevention with the swab, for example, because you can not stand the stick or because do you wish a child, you can do it at any time be removed by your doctor.
Since the hormone supply of the rod similar to the mini-pill, many doctors recommend that several months of taking the mini-pill test the compatibility of the hormone Etonorgestrelzu before inserting the swab.
What advantages does the hormone sticks?
- Since the hormone sticks containing only progestogens, it is a good alternative to many estrogen-containing pill products if you can not stand the hormone estrogen or can not take due to significant health risks.
- Taking errors such as the pill are excluded. The risk of intake errors, since the stick remains permanently in the body, even lower than the vaginal ring. On this point, the hormone sticks of hormone spiral similar.
- With a Pearl index from 0 to 0.08 the stick is one of the absolutely safest contraceptives.
- Because the hormones through the skin into the bloodstream, bypassing the gastrointestinal tract. The effectiveness is retained even if diarrhea or vomiting.
What are the disadvantages of the hormone sticks?
- The hormone sticks is one of the most expensive contraceptives. It costs between 300 and 350 euros.
- For the removal of possibly further costs of up to 50 Euros can get to you.
- Menstruation is often irregular and it can intermediate bleeding.
- Some women also complain of feelings of tightness in the chest, headaches, mood changes and sexual aversion. In some cases it also results in difficulties in removing the swab, which can have small or major surgery result.
How reliable is a hormone sticks?
The hormone chopsticks comes with an extremely low Pearl index from 0 to 0.08 (number of 100 women who became pregnant despite this method of contraception) among the safest contraceptives. but as with other hormonal contraceptives, some drugs such as broad spectrum antibiotics, St. John's wort, some antiepileptic drugs and psychotropic drugs may reduce the contraceptive effect of the stick, too. If you have to take medication, your doctor or your doctor will inform you that you verhütest with the hormone implant.