introduce complementary foods: When is my baby ready?
Spoon into position: From the 5th month of the pure milk diet at some point no longer enough. Then you can introduce complementary foods now. But exactly when the baby is ready? So you can find the right time.
In the first months of life, breast milk or infant formula feed your baby enough with all the nutrients it needs for healthy development. The older it gets, the more some body's reserves, such as the iron stores run out. Since the pure milk diet is not enough any longer.
This means that your baby needs the missing nutrients for healthy growth in other ways. So it's time to introduce complementary foods while perhaps to start weaning or to reduce infant milk.
introduce complementary feeding around the 5th month
When is baby ready for the first mash? The Research Institute of Child Nutrition in Dortmund (FKE) recommends to introduce complementary foods between the 5th and the 7th month of life. At about this time, climb the nutritional needs. In addition, this period is good to get used to your baby's body slowly to new foods.
Is the baby really ready?
Despite the official recommendations of the date for introducing the supplementary food is very individual. This signs tell you that your baby is ready:
- It keeps track of the food that you take to you, with his gaze.
- It mimics chewing movements.
- It grabs your food.
- There's up food, which is in its reach, in the mouth.
- It opens when the spoon is removed from the plate, expectant mouth.
- It calls for breastfeeding or feeding with the bottle more often and more quickly thereafter to be fed.
Small tips to help your baby to Beikoststart
1. On Spoon Discovery Tour: Give your offspring example, a few weeks before the scheduled Beikoststart a spoon to play. He has time to explore the new cutlery with the mouth and get used to the feeling.
2. Liquid-feeding: In addition, you can your baby occasionally give the spoon a sip of water or tea. Then they learn to take some of it.
3. squishing allowed: In this age to play is still perfectly legitimate with the food and table manners are little sense anyway. quietly let your child discover the new food with your fingers. This often helps to take your child's fear of complementary foods. The Mud mixing is an important sensory experience and is part of the dining experience it.
How long does it take? Patience when introducing the complementary feeding
Your baby is learning many new things during insertion of complementary foods. You should not be surprised if ends up in the first experiments more next than in your baby.
But do not worry, with the first Breiversuchen should not even be enough, but first learn two things your baby: to eat from a spoon and swallow the new food with the changed consistency. Until the food from the spoon works, it usually takes five to eight Fütterversuche.
How quickly and how much your child solid food eaters, will individually designed. Some babies tear from the start mouth hungrily when the Wooden Spoon approaches. Others are more skeptical and hesitant. Both are perfectly fine.
Take it easy:
always go to the needs of your child and force it never to eat if it does not want. Try it easy tomorrow. Or a few days later. If your Small, is still significantly rejects the new food, it's probably not ready. And now? Laying spoon aside, feeding milk and introduce complementary foods until later!
introduce complementary foods: Physical Development
The first slurry having the baby between the 5th and 7th month. By 4 months of the intestine can not digest solid food. Also, would an earlier start burdening the baby's immature immune system unnecessarily. Around the fifth month, the immune system is on the one hand already strong enough to cope with new stimuli. On the other hand also flexible enough not to respond to possible allergenic substances equal intolerant.
From the age of four to five months, many babies are also developing physically far enough to eat from a spoon. Congenital tongue stretch reflex has regressed somewhat normally. Unlike the sucking reflex should your child learn new sequences of movement so that it can swallow the porridge. Also on the new consistency of baby foods Food and feel of the spoon in the mouth Your baby needs to get used. The only way you have any chance at all that the porridge in the mouth remains.
At the same time, most babies keep her head at this time alone, sitting upright with support. Since the motor skills are getting better developed, it falls children now easier to learn the new food.