So learn to sleep through your baby
Your baby can not sleep? By the sixth month of life that is normal, but after that it should gradually get used to the sleeping through the night. We have you put together some useful tips and hints that will help your baby to sleep through the night better.
Good to know: Nocturnal awakenings are normal
Natural awakenings at night are present in the body of every human being. So it is normal that your child wakes up at night times. Whether it then asleep or stay awake, but may very well depend on its Einschlafgewohnheiten according to many sleep experts. So go the authors Kast-Zahn and Morgenroth ( "Every child can learn to sleep") and Elizabeth Pantley (sleeping place screams) from the thesis that, your child "checked" automatically during these awakenings, whether around it everything is still so as before going to sleep. Is asleep, for example, while nursing at the breast or the mom next to him and determines the next wake up, that it is in his bed alone and without his sleep aid, it is bothered by this changed situation and finds perhaps severe back sleep.
scream sleep instead: Display book tip
Get a good night without falling asleep and sleep problems, we recommend you to Book classic "Sleeping instead yell"! For additional security moody night lights make the nursery. at Baby market you find a great selection of night lights.
Case 1: Unfavorable Einschlafgewohnheiten
Your baby may therefore at night not to sleep, wakes up frequently and cries, so you can check to see if it could possibly be due to unfavorable Einschlafgewohnheiten in a first step. Habits that might interfere with nighttime sleep of the child include:
- The baby falls asleep with body contact with the parents or if it is carried around.
- The baby does not sleep one night because it has lost the pacifier and is still too small to find himself again. Find in our article "baby can not sleep without pacifiers" more on this subject.
- The baby sleeps just a while breastfeeding or bottle giving. Here, too, you can find in our article "Your baby falls asleep only when breastfeeding or bottle?" More information and tips.
Basically, these habits are not bad, nor cause for all babies problems. However, if you observe that they interfere with your baby and therefore you when staying asleep, you can change them, even so in the long run no serious sleep disorders arise. A particularly gentle way is Elizabeth Pantley in her book "Sleeping place screams" before.
Gentle weaning of unfavorable Einschlafgewohnheiten
So that your child learns to go back to sleep in his own bed at night without your help, you should initially exactly distinguish whether your child is actually awake, or perhaps is only sleeping noises. It is often so that a child is already busted out of the crib to comfort donations, although it's not really awake. Had they busted it right away, it probably would have continued to sleep. If you know the difference, it may be that the guard and thus comfort phases automatically reduce.
For the rest of the night awakenings it is then already shorten your routine calming procedure step by step. In terms of phases, the way to passing only sleep could look like after your child wakes up at night and has called for you:
- Phase 1: Do what you always do to guide your child back to sleep. Just before he falls asleep, it lay gently in his crib. If it does not accept it, take it up again and comforting it. the whole Repeat until your child falls asleep in his crib. Break off if you lose patience and let it fall asleep as usual. Try again the next night.
- Phase 2: If the approach developed by Phase 1 routine, going on to take your child does not immediately get out of bed when it's awake. Caress or weigh it instead in his crib and say softly to him. If your child does not want to fall asleep even after several repetitions or crying, go back over how to proceed from phase first
- Phase 3: When Phase 2 has successfully enforced, then leave out the touches in bed. Speak softly to your child, best already established signal words to sleep. Go back to Stage 2 or 1, if your child starts to cry.
- Phase 4: Although Phase 3 work, you can dare to try to comfort your child from a distance, such as the door frames, verbally.
Little by little, you get used to this way your child from falling asleep without your presence. This of course requires a lot of patience and can take several days or even weeks. Finally, however, it will be worth it and bless you with sleep-rich nights.
Option 2: Nightly meals
Babies are usually designed with six months physically far enough to see the night as such and throughput without food or to be able to sleep. If your child still requires more than six months at night one or more meals, there are two possible causes:
- The child is accustomed to sucking. It actually does not drink more out of hunger, but because it is accustomed about to fall asleep. So if you find out that your child drinks very little at night or just sucks, you can omit the meal immediately. In the evening, you should go to feed at least half an hour before sleep your child. So a clear temporal separation takes place and your baby will not get asleep with the food supply in combination. The copy of our "So learn to sleep Your baby" presented methods for learning while asleep can help you to change the Einschlafgewohnheiten your baby.
- The child has learned at night hungry and "squashed" much accordingly. It probably has his hunger during the day not sufficiently satisfied. In that case you should take things more slowly the weaning. To reducing night after night the time you are breastfeeding your baby, by one minute. If it gets the vial, the amount each Decrease by ten millimeters. After a week, you should have so given up his nightly meal.
3. Option: Disturbed sleep-wake cycle
If you can exclude poor Einschlafgewohnheiten as a reason for long nocturnal wake times your baby, then your baby probably has not yet internalized that night to sleep is there. If you find out, for example, that your baby is awake at night for over an hour on average and does not fall asleep quickly and with your help, again, seems to have a disturbed sleep-wake schedule your baby. In order to draw these in just railways, it is important first to take the sleep time your baby under the microscope. Here you can keeping a sleep log or checklist "Is your child a good sleeper" help. In our article "So the child's sleep develops" You also find this information to the average sleep duration of babies and children.
An important rule, recommend compliance with many experts is bed time = sleep time. Thus, a baby should be the time that it is in bed, spend sleeping. So Determine based on the sleep log or checklist, the number of hours actually sleeps your baby during the day and at night in total and when. Compare then the number of hours of sleep (sleep time) your baby with the time it is usually in his crib (bed time). If your baby, for example, spends 14 hours in his bed, but it sleeps only 11 hours because it is at night regularly three hours awake, then you should adjust the bedtime bedtime better.
- If you detect on the basis of the sleep protocol for example, that your baby is sleeping a lot during the day, you can shorten or just leave in babies sleep the morning away the day nap.
- Likewise, you can put to bed later, when you see that it takes a long time to fall asleep your baby.
- also shy you not afraid to raise your baby in the morning, if it is sleeping too long and you prefer to get used to it at an early bedtime. It will quickly adapt to these times.
After a few weeks, the rhythm should have consolidated and bring both your baby and you sleep nights rich.