Termination of pregnancy in “Down syndrome”?
Is detected a malformation or a chromosomal abnormality in your unborn baby, so you have the right to decide you for an abortion. Learn more about your options, the process and the consequences of leaving and where you can find help with this difficult decision.
Prenatal diagnosis provides you seen during your pregnancy, the possibility of chromosomal abnormalities and malformations in your unborn child. You can take advantage of this offer, but do not have to. Most studies that have early detection of disabilities in focus will be to the 13th week of pregnancy performed (nuchal translucency scan, amniocentesis, chorionic villus sampling, triple test). At that time, you have often been built up as expectant mother or father a relationship with your unborn child. To opt for suspicious findings for or against the child, is a serious and very stressful decision. It is all the more important, therefore, to learn about the possibilities of a crash just before you fall this decision final. Below you can find more information on abortion, its consequences and what help you can avail.
When is an abortion possible?
Regardless of whether it was found in the prenatal diagnosis of a disability of the child, in Germany an abortion up to the 12th week of pregnancy is permitted. When doctors detect a problem development of the baby at a prenatal examination and thus there is a physical or mental health risks for the mother present or future, the pregnancy can be legally until the due date canceled. After the 22nd week of pregnancy but are rarely more abortions performed because the child from this time would be able to survive outside the womb. In any case, the abortion may only with your permission and only be carried out by a doctor. Late terminations, so abortions because of a disability risk the child will be covered by health insurance.
Display Book tip: Eat right during pregnancy and lactation
What should I eat in my pregnancy and better not what? What I eat for nausea or heartburn? Which promotes milk production? You'll find in this book of GU answer to these and many other questions.
Get help with the difficult decision
With your decision for or against the child, you should take enough time and trust your feelings and your experiences you definitely. Speak a lot with your partner about this decision and its consequences. At a counseling center you can provide comprehensive advice and you will be informed and find support in your decision. A pregnancy conflict counseling informs you about the possibilities, risks and consequences of abortion. Here you have the opportunity to talk directly with a consultant to clarify your situation and find a decision. Counseling is confidential and free. Contact addresses for a pregnancy conflict counseling in your area you can find, for example, at Caritas in ProFamilia or the women's representative of your city.
This happens when abortion
When did you decide to have an abortion, followed by a free and detailed consultation at a crisis pregnancy counseling. In this conversation there is no question to reproach you or to instruct you, but to talk to you about your situation and your options and inform you and advise. After this conversation, you get a certificate of consultation and can reconsider your decision again. With the certificate you can no earlier than three days after the conversation abortion by a gynecologist or doctor tests performed. Before the procedure, you should be well informed about the procedure and the risks. If questions remain, shy you ask no more accurate! Most women can go about an hour after the procedure back home.
Methods of abortion
A distinction is instrumental and medical methods of abortion. Among the instrumental methods suction and curettage include:
- The vacuum aspiration (aspiration): In the suction method, the cervix is stretched and the embryo as well as the lining of the uterus aspirated. This is done within a few minutes under a general anesthetic or a local anesthetic. a follow-up is then performed using the ultrasound. The suction method can be performed from the sixth to the 12th week of pregnancy and is in Germany, according to the Federal Statistical Office (as of 2009) with 75% the most common method of abortion.
- The curettage (curettage): In the curettage of the cervix (a spoon-like instrument) is stretched and the uterus by means of a so-called scraped curette. Thus, the embryo and the uterine lining is removed. The curettage is possible up to the 12th week of pregnancy. However, the suction method is preferred because it involves fewer complications.
- Medication Abortion: The medical abortion is done using a so-called abortion pill, which contains the means Mifegyne. The drug is taken under medical supervision, and causes the ejection of the embryos after one to three days. The ejection is similar to a heavy menstrual bleeding and one to two weeks later carried a follow-up. According to the Federal Statistical Office (as of 2009) of the medical abortion was performed in 12% of abortions.
- The drug late abortion: The drug late termination occurs as the medical abortion, with the addition that not only the medication Migeyne, but also a blow-promoting agent is administered. This artificial miscarriage is triggered, which happens under medical supervision. Fetuses with a possible viability (from 22 weeks of gestation) are first killed by the blood supply suppressed by the umbilical cord or potassium chloride is injected it, which causes the cardiac arrest of the fetus.
Consequences of abortion
As in the description of the methods is clearly an abortion is a serious procedure, which typically draws also physical and psychological risks and consequences.
- Immediately after an abortion may cause abdominal pain and bleeding
- The risk of premature birth in a subsequent pregnancy is increased
- The uterine lining could be damaged especially when curettage, so it can lead to infertility
- When an abortion without complications fertility is not threatened
Unique scientific results on the psychological consequences of abortion does not exist. However, many women and fathers suffer great guilt and prone to depression. however, some sufferers feel relief after the abortion. Often the strength of mourning is related to the depth of the thoughts, expectations and desires that are associated with the child together. to talk with your partner or a therapist about what had happened, helps to cope with the loss of the child.
Life with a disabled child
If you decide to have an abortion, then you decide for your child. Living with a disabled child has many facets, and joy and suffering are often close together. Above all, the everyday with a possibly long-term care child can be time-consuming and exhausting. But you will grow on the tasks and the beautiful moments, show you that it is worth all the effort and limitations. Many parents feel their disabled child as a special gift. In our special "life with a child with a disability" will learn you how life changed for your family and you, but where their financial support will also find help and how you can encourage your child.