The proper handling of the lochia
Every woman has the so-called lochia after birth. Due to the bleeding of the body excretes from residual blood, mucus and Eihautreste from the uterus. Here you can read how long the lochia lasts and how you deal with it properly.
What happens when lochia?
The placenta during pregnancy is liable to the uterus. As soon as she is repelled, it leaves a bleeding wound. This bleeding is called lochia. Through the week the river, which is also called postnatal bleeding, your body excretes after birth blood, mucus and possibly radicals from the amniotic membrane from the uterus.
Display Book tip: All about postpartum
Your baby is here and now begins for you an exciting time. Midwife Viresha J. Bloemeke answered in this book employ your questions you and your partner during the time in childbirth. So you manage a good start for the time together.
Strength and duration of lochia
How strong the week river is varies from woman to woman. Some women bleed heavily and much, others little weaker and less. The amount of excreted week flux reached during the puerperium an amount of 200 to 500 ml, if after the first bleeding, the healing of the wound begins, the weekly flow of a bright red discolored to pink over brownish until a yellowish after about 14 days. white color takes. Then the week River contains almost no wound secretion, but only liquefied cells. The lochia can last up to eight weeks. If you too quickly zumutest you too much after birth, but it can happen that the bleeding replace. The color red is a real warning signal in this case.
Proper personal hygiene when Lochia
- During the week the river tampons are absolutely taboo. About them, bacteria can enter the uterus and trigger an infection. In addition, tampons can easily cause congestion.
- In order to absorb the discharge, you should use special napkins or fleece diapers. Your midwife or nurse at the hospital are you surely help. It is important that you have the napkin or diaper possible currency exchange every two to three hours. Otherwise it can be uncomfortable and humid.
- After urinating, you should rinse the genital area with lukewarm water. So you can rinse dried blood. is important and, of course, that you wash out before and after using the toilet hands thoroughly to prevent germs and bacteria can enter through the vagina into the uterus.
A doctor's visit is required if ...
- durchgeblutet is within one hour, a sanitary napkin or diaper, or the bleeding is so strong that the blood as water flows from a tap
- after a week the bleeding have not diminished and are bright red as before
- the bleeding even more strongly after a few days
- containing the separated blood clot large
- unpleasant smell, fever or chills occur.
The lochia is certainly something unpleasant, but it will pass. The healing an external wound finally takes a little time. Give yourself and your body time to recover.