The vaginal ring is similar in operation of the pill. He is permanently inserted into the vagina and are permanently hormones to suppress ovulation and prevent fertilization and implantation of an egg from. Learn more about the application, operation and safety of the vaginal ring.
How does the vaginal ring?
The soft plastic ring with a diameter of 54 mm You guide like a tampon into the vagina. He is continuously hormones which are intended to prevent ovulation. As the pill so also contains a vaginal ring progestins. Progestins thicken the lining of the uterus, thus preventing fertilization and implantation of the egg.
In addition to the vaginal ring, there are many other hormonal contraceptives, which are comparable in their high security with the pill, hormone spiral or contraceptive implants. In our area "prevention" You can find many other contraceptive methods with their advantages and disadvantages:
When the vaginal ring must be removed?
After 21 days, you have to remove. This is followed by a seven-day break, during which normally starts your menstrual period. Like the pill but these menstrual period is not a real menstruation, but a withdrawal bleeding. After seven days, you can then use the next vaginal ring. The only approved in Germany vaginal ring is the product "Nuvaring".
If you have forgotten to remove the vaginal ring after 21 days, it sets up to seven days longer sufficient hormones in order to continue to ensure the prevention of security.
the vaginal ring can be removed for a short time from the vagina without affecting its conception inflammatory effect, for example if he should disturb you during sex. However, he should not be removed for more than three hours and not more than once within 24 hours.
Advantages of the vaginal ring
- The vaginal ring is easy to implement. Most women do not feel it when worn. Most during intercourse some women remove it. It can be removed for up to three hours within 24 hours.
- If you are using vaginal ring, you do not think about the prevention daily. The ring is kept permanently in the vagina and therefore can not be like the pill forgotten in a day. "Taking errors" are unlikely, and the short-term wearing of the ring over the 21 days in, no consequences for its effectiveness.
- You can have up to three rings immediately after use without it to have come to a menstrual period.
- Like the pill, the menstrual period also falls during vaginal often weaker and is associated with less menstrual pain.
- The safety of the vaginal ring is comparable to the high safety of the pill.
- Unlike the pill, it also caters to women contraceptive security that often suffer from vomiting, diarrhea or gastrointestinal problems.
- However, further interactions with antibiotics and other drugs, unfortunately, remains a problem even when vaginal ring. Therefore, here we must speak directly with a doctor in case of problems.
Disadvantages of the vaginal ring
- The vaginal ring has similar side effects and restrictions as the pill.
- Some women find it hard to think of removing and reinserting the vaginal ring to the predetermined times.
- The vaginal ring can slip out of the vagina. but this really happens rarely. But if this is it out of the case, you should wash it off with lukewarm water and use immediately. In some women, the vaginal ring can also cause vaginal irritation and discharge.
How reliable is the vaginal ring?
The contraceptive effectiveness of the vaginal ring is about the safety of the pill. He has a Pearl Index 0.25 to 1.18 (number of women 100 who became pregnant despite this method of contraception). This means that less than one percent of women who use the vaginal ring, are still pregnant.