Vitamin D in pregnancy
The adequate supply of vitamin D is very important during pregnancy. Along with other nutrients vitamin D supports the growth and development of your baby during the early phase of pregnancy and also donates your body plenty of power. And even if you're not pregnant, you should your body with sufficient vitamin D supply. Here you can find out what's behind vitamin D and how you can meet your daily needs.
Why is vitamin D important for you and your baby?
- Vitamin D allows to exploit the body, calcium from food and thus strengthening bones and teeth. The bone density of your unborn baby is influenced in pregnancy.
- Your immune system benefits D levels from a high vitamin. Defenses and cell protection be set up and protect you from germs. So you stay fit before and during pregnancy and healthy.
- New studies confirm a positive effect on heart and blood vessels. The vitamin reduces developing diabetes and multiple sclerosis risk, and also seems to reduce cancer risk - for you and your baby.
- The British Journal of Nutrition published in 2010, study results showed that a good vitamin D supply significant support cell growth of the baby from an early stage of pregnancy. Of the 3700 women brought subjects with a good supply on average larger and heavier children into the world than the comparison group.
Display Book tip: nutrition during pregnancy
What should I eat and not better what? What I eat for nausea and heartburn? Which promotes milk production? You'll find in this book answers these and many other questions.
How much vitamin D you need during pregnancy?
So far, the German Nutrition Society (DGE) recommends a daily adult dose of five nanograms and children and seniors about twice the amount. Even if an overdose is relatively unlikely, you should not settle any quantity. Let's measure your values to the doctor and discuss with him an individual dosage. Before pregnancy, the standard dose for adults is usually sufficient. From the first weeks of pregnancy Your demand is increasing and there are 10 nanograms as recommended.
2008 "National Nutrition Survey" of the Federal Research Institute for Nutrition and Food has been determined in that 82 percent of men and 91 percent of women receive insufficient vitamin D. Since the vitamin D status is often not checked in the regular health checks, you should be measured in order to counteract a possible deficiency early on your values to the doctor.
How You are providing your body during pregnancy with vitamin D?
The active vitamin D is strictly speaking not a true vitamin, but a messenger, which is formed by conversion processes in the liver and kidneys. The "raw material", the so-called native vitamin D, is either absorbed through the skin or food.
The most important supplier of native vitamin D is the sun, or more precisely the Direct skin contact with UVB rays of the sun. However, there's a few things you should consider:
- In summer, sunscreen should protect with high SPF skin from sunburn and reduce the risk of skin cancer. UVB rays are blocked, however, they can also produce no native vitamin D in the skin. Of course, sun protection is important and you should continue to pay attention. However, ten minutes a day without sunscreen are enough to fill up enough.
- While the skin comes in summer, even on cloudy days or in the shade with UVB rays in contact, they are missing unfortunately entirely in our latitude in winter. About October to March the memory so can not fill in the fresh air.
- Even when discussing remains whether tanning beds are a good alternative, you should not want to apply the artificial light source. Your skin can be very sensitive in the first few weeks of pregnancy and is sensitive to external influences. Most commercial solariums already working with UVA radiation and are useless for your vitamin D levels.
Also some foods You can use your body in pregnancy care with the vitamin. Especially oily fish, beef liver and cod liver oil D content are known for their high vitamin. Smaller quantities stuck in milk, egg yolk or mushrooms. About 100 grams of herring, salmon or halibut are sufficient to meet daily requirements. With us you do not find some delicious recipe ideas that provide you with an extra dose of vitamins you before and during pregnancy.
absorb vitamin D in pregnancy through nutritional supplements
If your body lacks in pregnancy in spite of all vitamin D, can Dietary supplements help. Often the preparations in combination with folic acid are offered an equally important part of the nutrient table. You get the extra cost drugs in the pharmacy, but should not they take without first consulting your doctor. Dosed correctly they help you define to provide you and your child maximum in pregnancy.